Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Have acidity problem due to drinking, eating spicy food. Stopped whisky, started beer. Thoughts?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
My weight is 85kg. Height 168 cm. And i have acidity due to drinking and spicy food. But again i tell you doc i cant stop drinking so fast. After the test done. I stopped whisky and i started beer.
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Alcohol usually irritates stomach and pancreas and causes increased stomach acid secretion. So this acidity is probably die to alcohol intake. As you can not stop drinking, you should at least have some medicines which do block stomach acid secretion.
Moreover, you should have endoscopy performed to check if there is no peptic ulcer, Helicobacter Pylori infection or stomach cancer. If H.Pylori is present, antibiotics treatment can give you some relief even without stopping the alcohol.
Fatty foods and spicy foods, coffee, chocolate should be avoided.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have acidity problem due to drinking, eating spicy food. Stopped whisky, started beer. Thoughts? 21 minutes later
Hello doctor. Thanks for replying. Actully i dont know whats wrong this website. My main problem has been deleted. I did my fully body test all were good. Unless this. HCT 15.4. MCHC 31.9. SGPT 104.43 AND SGOT 80.6 AND BILIRUBIN 8.90. AND THE REST ARE GOOD. I NEED HELP. I CANT ATOP DRINKING NOW. AM NOT DRINKING WHISKY. I WANT TO STOP DRINKING. BUT STEP BY STEP COUSE AM EDDICTED. SO I STARTED BEERS. 5 BEERS PER DAY FIVE DAYS. I CAN ATOPP FULLY DRINKING. WITHING 3 MONTHS. DOES IT HARM MY LIVER. HOPE I WILL NOT DIE
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Bilirubin 8,90 is very high result. So it seems that the alcohol has done some damage. Such bilirubin result is something that needs to be treated in the hospital (most likely you are heading to liver cirrhosis).
And yes, alcohol is destroying your liver. Even in small dosages when you do drink regularly, it is still XXXXXXX for your liver. Liver cirrhosis is life threatening condition and the only way of its treatment is liver transplant.
That is why I`m kindly asking you to visit your doctor as soon as possible and have your liver checked carefully. Some other tests like liver biopsy, coagulation, proteins level, possible esophageal varices should be checked as well as liver cancer should be ruled out.
If it is about drinking, If you really want to stop it, you need help from professional therapeutics who will guide you step by step.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have acidity problem due to drinking, eating spicy food. Stopped whisky, started beer. Thoughts? 7 minutes later
But in the report bilirubin the normal range shows upto 17 umol/L how comes 8.90 is high!!!!! Am talking about my SGOT 80.6. And my SGPT is 104.4.... My doctor told me you liver is still working good. But i have to reduce or stop drinking. And you saying my bilirubin is high! And in the reportupto 17 is ok !!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Ok. Its because there are different referential ranges of bilirubin. It depends of the lab which is performing it. In mg/dl the ref range is from 0,3 mg/dl to 1.0 mg/dl (this measure is used more often and you did not mentioned if it is mg/dl or mmol/l so I assumed that this is mg/dl). In mmol/l ref range is 5.1 mmol/ l to 17.0 mmol/ l.
If your bilirubin is in ref range than it is fine. So your liver is fine as well. SGOT and SGPT are only slightly elevated (if u/l) what indicates that alcohol is affecting it. But not significantly.
So no need to check it right now.
Just find a specialist to stop drinking. Liver tests should be repeated in 3 months to see if it is improving or not.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have acidity problem due to drinking, eating spicy food. Stopped whisky, started beer. Thoughts? 1 hour later
Thx doctor for replying. I just want to ask is my sgot and sgpt are high much?!! And what is the maximum high so the person should stop drinking? I dont want to go to any doctor. With my this test can i drink just two months maximum with less amount than now. Then am sure to stop the alcahol. Is my this latest liver test is severe so i have to stop drinking from now. I was heavy whisky drinker but after this report i started drinking light beer. In addition please tell me which diet and madicine can i take to make my liver better? I know you are doc and you will never tell me drink alcohol. But really i cant stop it now. I can do it within 2 month with less units then before. Thx doc
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 hours later

There is no maximum level that would tell to stop drinking. The main problem with liver is that only small part of it is enough for proper function. So there can be like 2/3 of it damaged and you still will get good liver tests. That is this tests do say only that liver gets affected by the alcohol, but you are not able to tell which part of it still works.
Your SGOT and SGPT are slightly above the norm. It is not high result. Usually when the liver gets acute inflammation this levels are like few thousands. Two months most likely wont change anything with your liver. Liver is able to take many years (20-30) of alcohol drinking. So if you will have stopping alcohol process gradually it should be fine.

To protect liver you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods, medicines (especially pain killers). Medicines like ornithine aspartate should improve liver condition (in every country there are OTC available medicines for liver condition).

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor