Have acidity problem and feeling vertigo. Suggest effective treatment

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Dear Doctor, (Gastroenterology)
My father has a gas and acidity Problem since a long unchecked time .so many times he consulted to the various physician but it is temporarily relief .He often feels like vertigo & stretching up whole the abdomen up to back , when produces gas and get relief from medicine& antacid etc.Since 25 days he took mixed uncooked vegetable with the meal ,and after an hour heavy belching and gas produced with pain in abdomen ,and taking some antacid and ENO salt , he became OK.But gas and eructation repeated daily with pain in the abdomen during a week. On 12-11-2012 he consulted an eminent retired physician Prof.Dr.D.K.Hazra, S.N.Medical College AGRA, who advised some medicine Tab.Metquin TDS, Tab. Entrocarb TDS, Tab. Ornivir OD, Tab.Rabekind before breakfast morning, Cap. Rabekind DRS after meal evening and prognosis for worms one Tab. BANDY weekly (3 weeks) and just after 2 Tab.Mebex for 3 days and was getting some relief. . Later on since 17-11-12, he used uncooked various vegetables i.e.radice, carrot, tomato, cabbage, palak etc. empty stomach in breakfast 3-4 days regular and after at about 12.30 P.M on. taking meal ,he often used to feel heavy belching with severe pain in abdomen .He was unaware & beyond the imagination that these mix uncooked vegetables may cause to be created of such problem .He was at Chandigarh ,where he consulted with a physician who asked for side effect ,but having no relief till two days ,physician advised to consult with some GASTROENTROLOGIST .Then he consulted in the FORTIS hospital to Dr.A.Sahai ,Gastroenterology ,who also asked for this trouble due to taking those uncooked vegetable effecting pesticides in them., but he prescribed none medicine except already taking medicine, but advise for endoscopy,RFT ,and PET-CT.However gradually and gradually pain reducing , but still no more relief from heavy eructation due to gas which spreading and stretching to whole of the abdomen around up to back cause to restlessness abnormality.
However for your perusal a brief of recent physical ground up taking is conveyed .That he noticed few month ago inguinal hernia problem & consequently on the advice of surgeon USG of abdominal findings show a lymph node 40 mm supraaroatic region incidentally, later on CT abdomen & FNAC findings declared Non-Hodgkin lymphoma .Thereafter on investigation in PGI Chandigarh through various blood tests ,PET-CT ,Bone marrow ,ECG ,& ECOH etc. concluded FOLLICULAR LYMPHOMA –stage IV grade-I ,asymptomatic .Hence only to “watch & wait “ till no symptoms arises , giving none therapy It is also noteworthy that my father has no any kind of problem pertain to Follicular lymphoma even unawareness.
Therefore ,I desire your intellectual opinion about PET-CT as suggested by aforesaid Gastroenterologist may require genuine to look about lymphoma ,it was recently done on 27-10-12 in PGI Chandigarh by oncologist .Moreover your opinion for acidity , gas and heavy belching and some effective prescription and suggestion are most urgently needed .Sharp reply is highly appreciated.

Thanking you
yours
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
The diagnosis for the patient is well established by all the investigations as non Hodgkin's lymphoma. From the radiology reports it has spread in the abdomen .
It requires a serious consideration for chemotherapy. This wait and watch policy is an exercise in futility. I would suggest that you seek an opinion of amedical oncologist for seriously considering commencement of chemotherapy. This will at least prevent further spread of the disease.
For the abdominal symptom symptomatic treatment is required for reducing flatulence and discomfort.For this I would suggest the following
1. stop all medications for these symptoms excepting those being taken for the lymphoma.
2. for the flatulence problem you can start him on
a. sorbiline (2-3 tablespoons in a glass of XXXXXXX warm water in the morning on an empty stomach) for aperiod of 6 weeks.
b. mild antacids may suffice namely
Cap omeprazole 20 mgms (one at bedtime for 3 weeks)
Sucralfate suspension (1 tsf three times a day after meals)
c. a liver tonic to improve digestion and apetite would also be helpful.
T Hepa merz 1 tab three times a day for 4 weeks.
d. drink at least 2 litres of water a day.
e. avoid uncooked food articles strictly.
f. have small volume meals avoiding oily food articles.
g. buttermilk supplements may be helpful.
h. enzyme supplements may be used but only for short term.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards