Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have acidity, heart burn, burning sensation in foodpipe. Which antacid would be safe?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Since the last few days I am suffering from acidity, heartburn and feeling burning sensation in the food channel. I am planning for pregnancy. Can you please suggest which antacids are safe to take in this situation?
Previously I used to take Rantac, Omez and Eno in case of acidity and similar problems. Whether these are safe to take if I am planning for pregnancy?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
There are limited data regarding the safety of antacids during pregnancy.However there are few antacids which have been approved by US Food  and Drug Administration( FDA ) pregnancy category B ( no demonstrated risk )
  These are as follows.
Tagamet HB (Cimetidine)
Pepcid AC (Famotidine)
Zantac 75 (Ranitidine)
TUMS (calcium carbonate)

these can be used before and during your pregnancy.

I think I have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor