Have acid reflux and getting pain in chest. On ganaton and started pain in shoulder. Reason?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in GERD
Question: I had done Echo, TMT and ECG test during May everything was normal, lipid profile when checked on september too was OK. I have a problem of acid reflux and I get pain in the chest often, had been taking Ganaton and Omez for the past 3 weeks, occasionally I have pain in chest and shoulders radiating to palms, getting anxious... What could be the reason?I am taking Nebicard 2.5 for the past 4 years for hypertension
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 33 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The pain is most likely from food pipe (Oesophagitis). You are already taking Proton Pump Inhibitor like Omez and Pro-kinetic agent like Ganaton – ideal for reflux and acidity. I wonder whether an endoscopy was done before starting the treatment.

Normal ECHO and TMT practically rule out Coronary Artery Disease.
The risk factors like lipids are also normal.
Your pain is unlikely to be related to the heart.
Nothing to worry.

Worry / Anxiety could also cause this or add to it.
Spondylosis of the spine (neck and thorax) is also a possible contributory cause.
If the pain is not improving do MRI of the spine.
Anxiolytic medicines may help in the short term

You doctor is doing a good job and keep following up.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 23 minutes later
Thanks Doctor, will follow up as per your advice
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 7 minutes later
Hi

There is obviously no cause for concern
Test are to be done to exclude the possibilities - rather than to rule in!

Good luck
God bless you