Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have abscess on right side of groin, swollen glands. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12684 Questions
I have a abscess on my right side of my groin area. It seems as if my glands are swollen.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
An abscess in the groin with swollen lymph nodes is suggestive of an infection in the area.
A surgical drainage of the pus has to be done under the cover of broad spectrum antibiotics to control the infection.
You need to consult the surgeon for the procedure needed. Till then you can clean the area. Wash it with savlon or mild soap and water and then remove the debris, dead tissue and pus from the area using a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution till you can see the red or pink colored tissue underneath it or active bleeding is seen. Bleeding helps in removing the infection and early healing of the wound.
Next apply bacitracin or neosporin or soframycin ointment or antibiotic powder over the area and cover it with a thin cotton cloth and preferably bandage it to keep the area covered to prevent it from further infections.
Get it examined and go for a tetanus shot and the antibiotics required to control the infection after consulting your primary physician.
1. Give enough rest to the affected part.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Hot compresses to the area will be useful pain relieving measure.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor