Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have abscess in-between buttocks above anus. Cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Surgery
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 246 Questions

I am having abscess in between my buttocks above anus.
What can be the treatment for it ?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 45 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query on Health Care Magic.
The first concern is to get our diagnosis correct. There are two possibilities for a pus collection in that region. It can be a simple abscess as you say.
In that case, the treatment will include
1. Antibiotics like augmentin and metronidazole (for doses and proper prescription you should see a surgeon)
2. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs like Ibuprofen.
3. Sitz bath: you can sit in lukewarm water for 10-15 min for 2-3 times a day. It gives immense relief from the pain
4. Let a surgeon have a look. Pus anywhere in the body should be removed. If the abscess is fully developed (or fluctuant) it needs to be drained.
But my concern is that it should not be a pilonidal sinus. It is a condition in young males with hairy skin and occupation that involves sitting for long periods. The hair gets trapped in the groove between the buttocks and slowly erodes the skin and causes infection. The site is exactly as you have described. In that case the treatment may require a bigger surgery. The hair also need to be shaved off. Rest of the treatment is almost the same. For this, you should consult a surgeon.
Hope this helps solve your query.
God bless you and I wish you a very rapid recovery.
Dr Anand Sinha
MS (General Surgery)
MCh (Pediatric Surgery)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor