Have abscess above anus. Prescribed cephalexin and bactrim. Looking for second opinion

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 15 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello, I have what appears to be an abscess just above my anus. I went to an urgent care facility and received that diagnosis by a nurse care practitioner, and was prescribed cephalexin and bactrim. I've read online that abscesses near that area are not likely to go away without surgical intervention. Should I seek a second opinion or try the course of antibiotics first?
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 36 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

Abscess just above anus means, its a perianal abscess. As you said correctly abscesses near that area are not likely to go away.It needs to be drained. Antibiotics can be added to complement abscess drainage but antibiotics alone is not going to help. I think you should seek a second opinion and get its drained. More over antibiotics penetrate poorly in an abscess and drainage helps in quicker healing.

Don't worry you will be fine. If you have any other query I am happy to help you or else kindly close your query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 55 minutes later
My abscess has already (accidentally) drained a few times, and seems to be getting better. Is there any harm in waiting to see the results of this? Is there a warning sign that will indicate I need to seek emergency medical treatment?
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 12 minutes later

I am happy that it has drained. If it has drained then antibiotics can penetrate the tissue better. You can wait for two or three days for it to heal. Probably nothing serious is going to happen in two or three days. If there is constantly pus draining even after few days then probably you should show it to rule out a fistula.

Don't worry you will be alright. If you have any other query I am happy to help you or else kindly close your query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD