Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Have abnormal cholesterol level. How to reduce this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Cardiologist, Interventional
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 424 Questions
i am 55 yrs. 65 kg with 271 cholesterol with triglicerides 165, HDL 47, LDL 191, ratio of HDL to total 5.77 and ratio of HDL to LDL 4.06. what should be the idela way to reduce cholesterol?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 14 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thanks for query.
Whenever cholesterol is abnormal it needs three pronged approach.
1. First is Diet- you need to have calories reduced based on type of work and required calories. Also need to cut on oils, fats, non vegetarian food, and sweets. Take lots of fruits and vegetables. Also you can see dietitian for personalized diet plan.
2. Exercise- Active physical activity or exercise for 45 min daily, aerobic and walking is preferred exercise.
3. Drugs Third and when needed is drugs, especially class of drugs commonly known as statins, which are now safe and very effective.

Considering your current lipid level and target (Total cholesterol 150 and LDL 130 or less) you need all three approaches at the beginning. Later after achieving fair control you can move back to Diet and exercise only.
Please do get back to me, if you have any doubts or need clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor