Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have abdominal hernia. Caused after donated a kidney to son. What can I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5760 Questions
I have an abdominal hernia which has been repaired twice. The second time mesh was used but I still have a bulge
in the area. The hernia was caused after I donated a kidney to my son. What can I do? I did have a tummy tuck performed at the time of the hernia repair..
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 29 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Some people are prone to have hernia. This is caused by weak connective tissue.
Post surgery hernias very often appears if the patient has severe coughing. So if you do smoke and have a cough, hernia repair can fail. Also overweight makes hernia recurrence more often.
If the mesh insertion has not helped, you should find a clinic which is able to fix abdominal hernia with laparoscopy (special mesh is inserted from the inside of the abdominal cavity). This method is called TEP.

So in conclusion, if you have severe cough, please visit pulmunologist and get proper treatment. In case of overweight, you should get rid of it first. Consider with your surgeon laparoscopic hernia repair.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor