Have abdominal distension, diarrhea, back pain and bronchitis. Worried for lung cancer?

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Lung Cancer
Question: hi I am XXXXXXX how should I call you? I am 33. I have issues of abdominal distension and diarrhea. it happened some time every months or even week, it has been few months, not getting better. It's easy to catch diarrhea when I eat cold food. I went to emergency last night they tested my blood and urine, data shows normal, but I am worrying about tumor since I was firstly found out 13 years ago that my small intestine moves too fast. It has been many years I have issues of diarrhea, first few years, it causes a painful, but now not any more painful, only the upper stomach feel slightly painful some time for just less than 1 sec. I don't know if I it is necessory to take enteroscopy or gastroscope. I am new to USA I don't have family doctor or insurance now, but I am a bit scared since I have read a lot from website about cancer, please tell what shall I do next step. by the way I also feel back pain and I have also long term bronchitis, I also worry about lung cancer although the x XXXXXXX test is ok, do I need take further test?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
First of all, the fact that you are 33 years old and have had these symptoms for a long time, make it highly unlikely that you have a cancer.
You should definitely see a doctor, particularly a gastroenterologist to get further work up of your diarrhea. There are multiple causes of diarrhea in young people like you, and these include: parasitic infections, celiac sprue, SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), microscopic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, certain type of food malabsorption, pancreatic problems, etc etc.
So at this point I would highly suggest you getting stool studies to rule out infection, blood tests to check for celiac sprue, upper endoscopy (camera through the mouth) and colonoscopy (camera through the rectum) with biopsies.
Long term bronchitis should not predispose you to lung cancer. If the X XXXXXXX was normal, just follow up with your primary care, and if symptoms get worse, then get new imaging studies.
In Google, look for the "FODMAP" diet, it is very good, and can definitely help with diarrhea and bloating in some patients. Try it out.
Hope I helped, take care