Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have a winged scapula. Getting nerve pain. Took pain killers and diazepam. How to treat the pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
Hi, i have had a problem with my shoulder since i was 15. i am now 27. I have a winged scapula for no known reason yet. Since the age of 15 i have episodes of savere nerve pain in my neck which then results in a dropped shoulder on the right that looks dislocated but is not. I go to the dr and they give me pain killers and diazepam and a few sessions of physion which in turn do not help. These used to happen around twice a year but as i ahve been getting older its been happening more frequent 5 - 6 times a year where last aug 2012 it hospitalised me for a few days and my shoulder is still in the dropped position, my winging is worse and im on a full coctail of drugs. Since august i have noticed my right hip pertruding towards the right further and further like i have a curve in my pine. The dr is sending me to a neurologist in feb but i am now suffering chronic pain in my hips and legs and all the way up my back. i cant walk, struggle to lay or sit or get any sleep. I tried to walk the other day that led me to falling down the stairs, which now the pain obviously is worse as everything feels like its in spasm. Is it wise to go to a+e or will they just shrug me off and say wait for the neurologist like what the drs say every week
thank you
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 hours later

Thank you for your query.

It seems that you have a myraid of problems which need complete investigation and assessment. To start from the beginning, the winged scapula can be congenital but may have been noticed as you grew up. Regarding your shoulder and hip problems, and difficulty in walking, did you consult an orthopedic doctor or are you being treated by your primary care doctor. If you can share the investigation findings then it shall be better for me to guide you further.

I could not understand when you wrote "is it wise to go to a+e".

You can use the facility provided on this platform to upload your reports for me to have a look.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor