Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Have a subserosal fibroid on the back of uterus, painful to sacrum area. Can there be complication removing this?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I have a subserosal 9cm fibroid on the back of my uterus. Can there be complications removing this? It is quite painful to my sacrum area. My Dr. is planning to remove vaginally via hysterectomy with da vinci surgery leaving ovaries in place.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

Uterine fibroid is quite common among women and your size of the subserosal fibroid is quite large (9 cm). It grows outside the uterus and create several symptoms like back pain, constipation, frequent urination, abdominal cramp, feeling of heaviness etc. If it is left untreated, it may lead to some other complications like renal damage by compression of the ureter, twisting of the tumor, pelvic infection after degeneration etc.

Here, best treatment option is surgery and hysterectomy is the procedure of choice at this age. But leaving ovary (atrophied or unhealthy) in the place may give rise to future risk of ovarian cancer in some percentage women. Though, you need not to take HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) additionally in case of healthy ovary. Please consult with your gynecologist regarding this.

In this scenario, Da vinci hysterectomy is the ideal procedure for you. It is a minimally invasive option, designed to overcome the limitations of traditional surgery including complication.

Some advantages are as follows
1) less pain than other traditional method
2) Very few complications & less amount of blood loss
3) Short duration hospital stay & low risk of wound infection
4) Quick recovery and return to normal activities

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor