Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have a red lump on shin after a fall. What could it be?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
my 95 yr old father fell on a metal trash can, injuring his shin. He has a lump on his shin and it is red all the way down to his foot. He does not have a fever and it does not hurt if he does not stand on it too long. There is a small cut on the lump, but it is healing and it is not draining.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems to be soft tissue injury Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us From description it seems to be soft tissue injury. Lump on shin might be due to haematoma formation (collection of blood). I would order X-ray to rule out bony injury. Please consider X-ray if it hasn't been done yet. He need to avoid massaging the area and take a mild pain killer for relief. Do a cold compress on the area of injury. The pain and swelling might take over a week to subside. In case there is an acute pain and a sudden increase in swelling then consult physician for a direct examination to rule out any infection in the area. Hope this helps you. If you have any further queries I am happy to answer, if no kindly close the query. Wishing him speedy recovery... Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have a red lump on shin after a fall. What could it be? 13 hours later
Thank you for your answer. We will follow your advice in this matter.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would appreciate your reviews . Detailed Answer: Hi, I am glad to know that I could address your concern. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor