Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Have a red bump on calf skin. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14995 Questions
I have a red bump that is larger than a pimple or mosquito bite on my upper calf skin. I have been spending time outdoors lately and I know it is a result from something relating to that but I'm not sure what. It is very itchy and doesn't really hurt that much to touch. It sticks out over the skin and does not appear to have a head to it. Photo attached. Thank you!
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The fact that it is itching implies that it is likely an allergic reaction to a stimulus, likely an insect/animal bite or sting.
The redness and increased size above the other aspects of your skin are due to inflammatory response from the irritant or stimulus.

You likely sustained this during your time outdoors as you suggested.

The usual course of treatment would involve using an oral antihistamine ( the drowsy or older antihistamines are actually stronger than the non drowsy) and the application of a steroid cream.
Mild steroid creams like hydrocortisone can usually be obtained over the counter. These are applied twice daily.

If the allergic response does not decrease or worsens you may want to visit your doctor who may suggest additional medication requiring prescription.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor