Have a red area on the top of gums. Anything to worry?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: gum abscess? hi,

I have a red area on the top of my gums. there is no tooth pain or gum pain. just a red area. is there anyway I can post a photo to better help with seeing if it is a abscess?
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to us,
I would like you to know that if the red area is associated with pus discharge,bleeding or pain then we may associate it with an abscess.
But if none of these symptoms are present then I would advise you to post your picture here so that I can guide you better.
Sometimes, redness and swelling are due to minor injury to the gums while brushing teeth, it usually heals in 5-7 days.
I hope this answer was useful,
Kindly feel free to post your further queries if any.
I wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli