Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have a protruding disk in vertebra. Have had pain in upper chest and collarbone which intensifies breathing. Can I get a breast reduction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10367 Questions
i have a protruding disk between c-3 and c-4 vertebra, diagnosed thru MRI last fall. I have rx for ultram that has lost effectiveness.But,recently have had pain across upper chest and collarbone that intensifies when breathing in. Neck and upper back also in more pain than have been in awhile. I haven't noticed that I have done anything different to cause additional pain. Pain is constant in neck and upper back. But, recently the pain in chest, collarbone, is new and hurts more upon breathing in. Im a very large chested female. 46 I cup. Looking to getting a breast reduction. I work 12-13 hrs a day. 40-48 hrs a week. Half the time at a desk. Again RX Ultram has lost effectiveness, but have used 2-4 pills a day for last 6 months. Upper back pain for 20 years. biggest concern right now is the upper chest pain, above breasts, by collarbone. pain hasnt gone away in last 48 hours.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
The pain in the upper chest and near the collar bone is likely to be related to a myositis or muscle pull due to overuse of muscles.
For symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscle. Avoid lifting any weights.
2. You need Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants for adequate relief.
3. Hot compresses to the affected area will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
You might benefit by consulting your orthopedician who can examine you , and order an MRI to know the exact cause and provide the proper treatment for it.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor