Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have a problem of vericocele in testis, suggested surgery. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
hii,I have a problem of vericocele in left testis so my doctor suggest me the surgery option but i am still confused whwether go for surgery or for any other option please guide about the same.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surg for large varicocoele only for infertility

Detailed Answer:
You did not mention why your doctor suggested a surgery, but let me assure you that I would recommend surgery for a varicocoele only in patients with documented infertility proven to be due to no other cause other than the varicocoele in question.
This would mean that if you are married, and are anxious to conceive, and you had a semen analysis done which revealed a poor sperm count with or without other abnormal parameters such as morphology and motility, and an ultrasound scan has revealed a grade II+ varicocoele, you might be a candidate for surgery, provided you understand that the surgery needs to be done by an expert in microsurgery,(i.e. he is using a microscope for the surgery to preserve testicular artery, and not just some magnifying loupes), and even in expert hands, the results are an improvement in sperm parameters in only about 60% of patients, and actual couples conceiving after surgery is about 40-50% within one year. You might have pain following surgery (which is usually mild) for about 2-3 months. I would not recommend surgery for varicocoele for any other indication such as pain or swelling in a 28 year old male, as these are known to persist after the operation.
Hope I have been able to help you. This operation is never an emergency, so please take time to take an informed decision

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor