Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Have a pimple like bump between shaft and scrotum. What this could be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi. I have a pimple-like bump on the underside of my penis between my shaft and scrotum. It used to just be (for over a year) a small hard circle the size of the 'o' on the keyboard with a greenish outer circle. The other day it filled up and now each day I squeeze it and whitish/ yellowish puss comes out and sometimes blood. It is also tender. Do you know what this could be?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. What you are having is a boil or a sebaceous cyst. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area.

Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Sebaceous cyst is a small cystic swelling filled with a soft, whitish brown material that sometimes oozes out onto the skin's surface. This material is called sebum. Treatment includes small surgical opening into the skin and removing the sac and the contents of the cyst.

For a boil, apply warm compresses on the boil and keep the area clean with topical antiseptics. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Till then you can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting your doctor. You can also take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have a pimple like bump between shaft and scrotum. What this could be? 18 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I was worried it may be an STI, but do you not think it sounds like one?

Why was it hard with a XXXXXXX circle around it under the skin for so long?

How long do you think it will take to go away just waiting? The pus smells pretty bad too.

Also what can cause these in such a place?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 25 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Yes, it could be a STI depending on your recent sexual exposure. Hard bump like structure is usually seen in Syphilis but it spontaneously disappears by 2 to 3 weeks without any treatment. It does not stay for this long.

The lesion being tender, discharging foul smelling pus makes it more likely to be Chancroid or LGV (LymphoGranuloma Venereum). I do not think it is Herpes. There must be a clear discharge for this and it is extremely painful.

Whatever be the cause, please get yourself screened for the STIs. The treatment for all these is easy and effective. You may need appropriate antibiotics.

You need to be safe, in perfect health. Always practice safe sex.

Hope this helps you. Do let me know if you have more concerns.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor