Have a lump below cheek bone. Is it a pulled muscle or cancer?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a lump just below my cheek bone, my doctor says its a pulled muscle, can this actually happen or is it ccancer YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I did not understand the exact location of the lump. You should probably upload the photograph with the feature on the right pane of the page.

Please explain more about the lumps, size, dimensions, firmness, whether you can lift the skin over it. Do you have pain and do you smoke or take alcohol?

Any case this age the likelihood of the cancer is very low.

Awaiting...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later
I do smoke, smoke weed every night, only get like 4 to 5 hours asleep at night, how do I get in the routine of sleeping and eating well?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later
Ok thank you. However there is no effort to explain about the lump. With the additional details of smoking and illicit drug there is chance of low immunity. It can be other reasons to the lump.

If you continue to smoke there is little improvement that can be seen even with the maximum efforts that you put to gather sound sleep. Hence stop smoking. You would lose appetite and would not gain nutritious diet. Nutritional deficiency, airway diseases are common which leads to sleep problems.

Stop smoking is the starting point for your wellness goals. Diet and good exercise complement during your journey.

Please use any answer clarification before you end our discussion here.
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 34 hours later
The lump is under my skin, when i clench my teeth on the left side it feels whole and the right side where the lump is it feels like its depleeting or something, it seems like its right inline with my back top teeth. When u clench your teeth and feel ur cheeks thats where it is. Its painful i think because i keep touching it but now i think im starting to feel it in my teeth, but at first where its located it didnt seem like it had anything to do with my teeth. Just got bloodwork done and everything is normal, What can they actually tell from my blood, would they know if i was danger of having oral cancer? And i did have my wisdom teeth taking out when i was 16 or 17, could that having to do with a lump that i feel on the outside of my face? I dont visit the dentist often but last time i went they said i had a back tooth angleing towards another one. Could the dentist take an xray of my mouth to see what is happening? Sorry for all the questions, I'm looking forward to your responds. Thank you.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Hi again,

The description seems that the lump is arising from the bone or the muscles.

If the blood work is normal, it means there is no infection. Fairly the way the oral cancer is detected by oral biopsy of the lump not by blood counts. However if there is a cancerous lesion there would be relatively higher blood counts as well.

I still think it is got to do with the dental issue and of course an X-ray would definitely help. Since I am not a dentist I would not be able to comment too much on this. I have a co expert here who can assist further to your questions.

You can ask him here at this link, WWW.WWWW.WW
I am worried if you continue to smoke. The chances of oral cancer increase by 200%.

Let me know if you have further queries.