Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Have a lingering infection, started as sore throat and now in sinus area,. blocking sinus passages. Prescribed bactrium

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
I have a lingering infection (3 weeks) that started as sore throat (week 1), migrated to lungs(week 2) and is now in sinus area (week 3), total blocking sinus passages. The one constant has been slight mucousy discharge from eye in morning, primaily left eye...nothing excessive, buts still persistent. Finally gave in and called my doctor, who prescribed Bactrim ds, was wondering difference between that and zithromax, which few other friends are taking (seem to be alot of colds/infections going around)
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Request your physician to add a decongestant and mucolytic. Start regular steam inhalation.

2. The discharge in the eye may be due to nasal obstruction. An eye examination, a nasal endocopy and a Sinus X-ray or CT will help check for sinusitis and infections of the lacrimal apparatus.

3. Bactrim DS (Trimetoprim and Sulfamethoxazole) is a time tested antibiotic and if you have started it, you may continue with the course. Azithromycin is a newer antibiotic with the convenience of once a day dosing. Both are good antibiotics.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor