Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have a large greenish yellow, blue bruise with a patch of small red dots after taking injection. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 393 Questions
I have a large now greenish yellow, blue bruise with a patch of small red dots. I got this bruise from the injection I had to have of anesthesia before my abortion. Blood was also drawn to determine my blood type. Is this bruise normal or infected etc? The bruise was sore at first for a few days and it still feels better to have my arm rested instead of folded or leaning on it, applying pressure weight on my arm.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your query.

I have gone through your picture uploaded as well.
I don't think there is anything worry about the bruise you have. Usually a bruise takes 7-14 days to disappear.
If the bruise is fresh, i.e. less than 48 hours, you can do a ice compress to stop the flow of blood.
If the bruise has occurred more than 48 hours before, you can do a warm compress to help it resolve faster. This will also relieve your pain to some extent.

If you have pain, you may have analgesics like Diclofenac and paracetamol. Do not take painkillers containing Ibuprofen.

Bruises typically change color in a progression in the healing process; from a reddish color, to a gradually darkening blue or purple, followed by green or a yellow-brown color.

In case you see it spreading more or pain increasing, you should consult your physician. However, this is unlikely and most bruises resolve spontaneously on their own.

I hope this is useful to you. I will be happy to answer any follow up queries you have.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor