Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have a hard lump on the centre of chest in between pectoral muscles. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
I have a hard lump on the centre of my chest in between my pectoral mucles
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Chest lumps can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors or trauma.
In order to comment on the most probable diagnosis I would like to know a detailed history of onset, duration and progress of the lump as follows ;
What is it's dimension and fixity( mobile or fixed to skin or underlying tissue)
How long have you had the chest lump?
Are you experiencing any other symptoms along with the chest lump?
Is the lump getting bigger?
Is the lump painful?
Do you have lumps elsewhere on your body?
As per the information provided by you if the lump is central, non progressive but persistent and hard it's more likely to be either a tumor or a musculoskeletal lesion( hematoma or bony outgrowth etc)
In any case it's best to get it evaluated by a doctor ( surgeon) who after thorough examination and tests like X-ray , blood counts, aspiration or biopsy of lump etc can confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate management .
Without this a confirmation of diagnosis is not possible hence to be on the safer side it's advisable to get any chest lump thoroughly investigated.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor