Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Have a hard lump inside of vagina. Is this a cyst?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5963 Questions
hi i have found a very small hard lump in the inside of my vagina approx half a finger length in. It isnt bleeding or causing any discomfort during sex but im worried. Wasnt sure if possibly a cyst some information say cysts should be soft and some say hard so a bit confused.
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 45 minutes later
Thank you for your health query.

There could be some possibilities for the condition you describe.

The first possibility is obviously a vaginal cyst. Now, they are of many kinds and types, so it is natural for you to be confused. If the cyst contains fluid or air, it appears soft , otherwise, certain other debris and collected material gives a hard texture to it. There are various causes of cysts, such as inclusion ( congenital ) cysts, trauma, infection etc. The commonest is Bartholin's cyst in sexually active women. Your lump sounds very much like a non infected Bartholin's cyst. As it is not painful, it is mostly not infected, but can be at anytime. The Bartholin's gland makes the fluid that lubricates the vagina. If the gland gets blocked, the fluid can get trapped inside and form a cyst. This is usually not painful. If the cyst gets infected, it is called an abscess and it can be very painful.

Usually, a Bartholin's gland cyst creates a smooth bulge or swelling. The lump is sometimes as large as an inch across or larger. This bulge can appear on one side of the entrance to the vagina, where the soft moist pink tissue begins, or it can cause swelling of the skin-covered portion of the labia (the vulva) on one side. This bulge may be painless, or it may be tender.

The only way to know what kind of cyst it is, and whether it is a cyst or not, is to have a proper pelvic examination by a gynecologist. You can try and upload a picture if you want me to opine by having a look, however nothing can replace a proper digital examination.

It could be a harmless vaginal tag or extra fold, but that would generally not feel lumpy.

Please consult a Gynecologist at the earliest to have a specific diagnosis.

Take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have a hard lump inside of vagina. Is this a cyst? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your quick repsonse. It is very small but further back than the opening, maybe a full finger length back would this still possibly be like the cyst you talk about. There is no bleeding etc. It is very hard though but feel as though as I can move it about with my finger.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX again,
It could be in that position, but could be an inclusion ( congenital cyst ) also.
Its difficult to say without examination.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor