Have a hard bone like lump on finger. Should I be worried?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a hard bone like lump sticking out the bottom of my middle finger should I be worried or will I get it checked out I bent my finger back last week and ever since then it's been paining me especially when it's cold out ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As there was a trauma of this finger recently, there is a possibility of bone fracture or bone dislocation. Depending of the place of dislocation/fracture it can get healed by itself but it might need also some medical attention. Some fractures or dislocations can be painless or cause only mild pain.
That is why it is advisable for you to have it checked with an X-ray.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
The part that seems to be poking out is the bottom of my middle finger were the joint meets the top of palm of the hand I work in a bakery so I'm constantly using my hand and the more I bend and lift its getting sore ! Should I go to my gp or straight to ae for x XXXXXXX ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Hello!

So it sounds more like dislocation. I suggest you to go to ER and have it explained as hands fingers are very important for everything we do. The longer you wait with it, the more changes and distortions do appear around this joint.

Hope this will help.
Regards.