Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Have a growth under arm, connected by a piece of skin,grown to size of pea. Is it a skin tag?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 6068 Questions
i have a growth under my arm- it is connected by a very small piece of skin to my underarm and is about a pea in size. It has gradually grown to this size.

i was wondering if it is a skin tag and if i can simply tie a string round it to cause it to fall off or if there is a better way/
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 15 minutes later
H and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

It sounds like benign, polypoid skin fibroma and it is typically found in this area. If this isn't pigmented and there is no inflammatory signs( redness, pus,swelling,pain ) around it, you don't have to be concerned.
You can attach photo and it would be easier for me to evaluate this.

Only if it has tiny peduncle it can be managed by tying a string, but I suggest to find surgical sterile suture for it. It can get infected or bleed so if this is painful during the manipulation or there is wide peduncle you should visit surgeon /dermatologist and do removal under local anesthesia.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have a growth under arm, connected by a piece of skin,grown to size of pea. Is it a skin tag? 47 minutes later
i have uploaded a picture is your advice the same?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later

Yes. I cant see the base clearly but this is acrochordon or how you call it "skin tag".

It is better to remove as i said, since clothes often can rub it and cause pain and irritation. Everything I said stays the same. Wish you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor