Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Have a chronic sore throat. Took flucloxacillin 500mg. How soon will this be cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2548 Questions
hi ive had a chronic sore throat for the past 5 days, I had some flucloxacillin 500mg in the house so have been taking 4 a day (took a double dose on first day) for last 2 days - will this help and if so how soon before it kicks in? thanks - XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Seems to be an acute infection. Do you have repeated sore throats. Chronic sore throat is usually defined after several weeks of infection. Did you or do you have fever?

2. Most oral antibiotics start acting well within 24-48 hours. If there is a resistant infection, it is best to change the antibiotic after 5 days, preferably to Augmentin (amoxicillin + clavulanic acid 625 mg twice a day for 5-7 days). These antibiotics should be discontinued if diarrhea or rashes appear. Sometimes, the infection is viral and hence medication does not help. However supportive treatment is required to reduce the severity of the attack.

3. You need to get an ENT Specialist to examine your throat. A throat swab or any discharge may be sampled for culture and antibiotic sensitivity. Routine blood tests may be advised by you doctor.

4. You may require a further course of antibiotics, pain killers, anti-allergics, medicated gargles (such as Betadine) and steam inhalation. This should be done under medical supervision. Your diet should be absolutely bland, with no cold, spicy or sour foods. Try a medicated gargle immediately to soothe the throat.

5. You may share your throat culture and blood investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. Get your throat examination and correct medication prescribed by a local doctor for prompt relief.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor