Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have a burning sensation while passing urine. Is this is an infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 79 Questions
I have a burning sensation while passing urine. Is this is an infection? This is happening from almost 2 is slight burning towards the end...Please help.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 29 minutes later

Yes, this is an infection. Most people think that since the burning sensation occurs while passing urine it is a urinary infection. Actually this is not so. This is a vaginal infection. When urine touches an inflamed or infected vagina, there is burning.

You will find great relief by using over-the counter kits for vaginal infections. Generally, there are 4 tablets in each kit. Please read the instructions on how to take these. In addition, vaginal pessaries containing the appropriate antibiotics also help. All these are easily available over the counter at the pharmacy or discuss with your local gynecologist for a prescription.

It is wise for you and your partner, both, to take one kit each.

In most instances, these vaginal infections are sexually transmitted but can occur even without sexual intercourse.

If you abstain from sex until you are perfectly okay it will help you recover faster. However, in case you are not able to fulfill this necessity, and then ask your husband/partner to use a condom EVERY time.

In case you get a repeat infection after its cured now, be alert to take blood tests for STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections) and get a test for Blood Sugars to rule out diabetes.

Simple measures can be used in emergency situations - use a swab of cotton and soak with Povidone Iodine solution which is available very easily everywhere (provided you are not allergic to iodine in which case there may be itchiness or more burning after application). Apply outside and inside vagina. The infection will subside to a considerable extent until you can discuss with your gynecologist about vaginal infections and STIs.

Thank you for writing in.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have a burning sensation while passing urine. Is this is an infection? 3 hours later
Thank You for your quick response.
Is there any specific medicine which are available at the chemists?
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 3 hours later
Yes there are. You will respond well to kits available for vaginal infections and vaginal antibiotic pessaries.
However, it may be wise to take any medication under the supervision of your local family doctor or gynecologist since a medicine may not agree with you and it is important to allow a doctor to use senses other than the sight and hearing to intuit your other needs and to examine you for a holistic healing.

What is important in this exercise here is to understand the body, how it functions, what do different symptoms represent and what is an intelligent, scientific way of dealing with the ills of the body.
Such knowledge empowers all women.....
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor