Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

180 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have a bulging disk, pain in leg and numbness on toe. How to treat this?

Answered by
Dr. Ganesh Sanap


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 561 Questions

Posted on Tue, 7 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a bulging disk at L5/S1 I have had two back shots doesnt help. The doctor stated my bulge was small so they didn't want to do surgery, but the pain in my leg is so bad and it numbs my toes what can I do
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 49 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for wrinting in.
Disc bulge has very different presentation and it differ from patient to patient. In some patient having large bulge , do not have any complaints. Where as in some persons very small bulge causes significant problem. You seems belongs to later group.
You doctor has correct approach. In small bulge usually intially intraspinal steroids are used. If it fails then option of surgery is considered. It will be better if you talk with your orthopaedician regarding endoscopic micro discectomy. It is minimally invasive procedure with good results. It will give relief, definitely.

Hope I have answered your query, If you have furhter concern please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Discectomy

doctor1 MD

I had a discectomy and I woke up in excruciating pain. A week later a laminectomy to stop the pain. Epidural injection,Morhine, Dilaudid , nothing helps. Something does not seem right. My Dr. has released me and says it will take a year to get...

doctor1 MD

I have spinal stenosis in lower back. Had a laminectomy discectomy . 8years doctor said I have a cervicle strain.pain middle neck.numbness,dizziness.if you have stenosis is it in your neck too.

doctor1 MD

I have bilirubin level a little out of range (1.3). I am a 51-year-old male who has recently had a discectomy and fusion of C-6-7 (ten days) and have been prescribed Norco (7.5-325) and baclofen (10mg) and gabapentin (300MGx2) I use medicinal...

doctor1 MD

i rcntly fell orr a chair 3 wks ago. 5 yars ago i had a disc extrusion and underwent a micro discectomy. i had an mri showing disc bulgel4/l5 andl5/s1 right post lat disc bulge touching the proximal nerv root. my local doctor has snt me back to work on light duties 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. should i go back to s my surgeon. i am in constant pain

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, Im a 38 year old female - 24 years ago i was operated due to a disc hernia in L5, i had a discectomy. Lately I'm feeling some numbness on my left leg and some slight pain in the back, in the scar area. If I'm seated for more than 30m I have difficulties in getting straight when i get up.
The doctor asked me to do an Xray and the report says "Mild narrowing of L5/S1 intervertebral space can be noted - may imply disc disorder.".
From time to time i do some acupuncture, but it does seem to be working lately.
Should I be seen by a orthopedic surgeon? What should I do?
Thank you for your advice.

doctor1 MD

59 year old female weighing 98kilos height 1mt 74cm
I already had a discectomy of L5-S1 performed in 2008.
I just had anther MRI of the Lumbar/sacral result is At level L4/5 there is a large central disc hernation with compression of the thecal sac and the L5 nerve root.
what should I do?

doctor1 MD

Hi there I had an endoscopic discectomy last Thursday and the pain in my leg seems worse than ever. I have started taking tramadol again as the pain is so horrible and worse than the nausea the tablets give me. My question is is the post op pain typical?