Have a boil on head. Got blood after squeezing. Should I apply antibacterial soap?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I saw the Dr. yesterday about a boil that would not come to a head. I have had it about 3 weeks. He put me on 2 kinds of antibotics and told me to put warm washcloth on it 6-12 times a day. Today it is draining some but the only thing that comes out is blood. Should I cleanse it real good with an antibacterial soap and put Triple Anitibotic Cream on it? Will the bleeding stop and only pus come out of it? First one I have ever had.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 16 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It appears that the infected boil has opened up and is beginning to drain out the contents. It is normal to have a little bit of blood draining out initially when the boil breaks open. So, you need not worry about this.

Yes, you can cleanse the area well with an anti-bacterial soap, gently squeezing the area around the boil, while washing (don't pinch the boil, but put pressure on the surrounding area to gently push out out the pus). Then, you can XXXXXXX dry with a clean piece of cloth or gauze and apply an antibiotic cream. Do not put a tight dressing on it. If necessary, you can loosely tape a clean gauze piece over the wound. Please complete the entire course of antibiotics which has been prescribed.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar