Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have UTI and drinking a lot of water. What medication should be done?

Answered by
Dr. Sree Gouri SR


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 5162 Questions

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Gynecologist

I have got urinary tract infection, symptoms of pain and burning sensations while urinating,pain in lower abdomen, regular off white discharge.
I am in iceland at the moment and its very difficult to get an appointment with a specialist.
I have been drinking a lot of water and cranberry juice but it has not been much of a help.
I also have this oral ointment with an applicator ( Gyno mikozal ) miconazole nitrate from my past treatment, used it twice before sleep but no relief.

Kindly suggest if I can take a medication or get some other ointment that can be more effective.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Thanks for the query.

When urinary tract infection is not getting controlled with water intake etc better to go for antibiotic therapy.
Ideal thing is getting the culture and sensitivity of the urine and then taking the antibiotic.
When the facilities are not available broad spectrum antibiotics like cephalosporin group drugs or septran etc can be preferred, which can possibly help in curing the infection.
Along with that urine alkalisers like citralka will help in decreasing the burning sensation and pain during micturition.
This antibiotics will also help in decreasing the white discharge.
Along with this continue taking at least 3 liters of water daily and nutritious diet.
If these won't help better to consult doctor and get urine culture and sensitivity done.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Miconazole

doctor1 MD

I ve been using Miconazole Nitrate 4% to cure a fungal infection/yeast as diagnosed by my GP. He first gave me several steroids to use where they only made the skin of my penis really thin and very brittle. I have since stopped using those and asked for Miconazole 3 day formula. I have used it sparingly for a week and have noticed my skin is almost dry and scaly. Seems thin also but it does not rip or split like it did with the steroids. Is there something better specifically for men or male genitals that will eradicate this infection and not harm my skin? I have changed my diet, I have stopped masterbating, as well as seized all other sexual activities. With Miconazole the infection seems to be clearing up and there are only a couple small spots I am waiting to go away. Should I stop using Miconazole? Is there something better made for men that will not harm my skin?

doctor1 MD

My husband and I are trying to conceive a baby but he thinks he has the jock-itch so we bought the anti-fungal spray to relieve the itch. Does the jock itch powder spray containing miconazole nitrate have any effects on the baby-making process (ie. sperm health, sperm count, etc..)? We just want to make sure it will bring about birth defects in our baby. Thanks

doctor1 MD

Hello, A few weeks ago, I was outdoors at a party and I began to get hot, sweat, and noticed a sweaty smell coming from my vaginal area, this has happened before when I have been moving around a lot in the heat, so I wasn't particularly worried...

doctor1 MD

I asked a doctor on here about minor dry skin on my penis. Sent him a picture. He said it was probably a minor fungal skin infection . He advised me to shave and keep the area clean and dry for ten days. Will a jock itch powder spray quicken the...

doctor1 MD

I am a 69 year old female and would like to know if the following symptoms suggest a systemic yeast infection:mild vaginal yeast infection, cleared with miconazole nitrate; sudden appearance of red rash near armpit; not itching, not particularly...