Have UTI. How to get rid of squishy poop and bloating?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My symptoms are squishy poop, the other day i had XXXXXXX squishy poop, and bloating.i also have a uti. i also found a string like thing in my poop thought it was normal but when i washed it out it was white, makes me think it might be a threadworm? i do not know. help is this all related?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 hours later

Though your history mentions that you have constipation and urinary tract infection. At times one can have frequency of motion on an antibiotic. The other reason for the bloating and stool described by you could be a gut infection.

There are various types of worm infestation which can mimic the description given by you. It would be better that you get a stool routine examination done, preferably on three consecutive days, to know the type of infection. The stool examination would also rule out any gut infection which could have caused the type of stool described by you.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Do let us know the reports of the stool examination so that you can be guided accordingly.

RKK

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later
yes the antibiotic is called nitrofurantoin for the uti, but the XXXXXXX and squishy poop was before the antibiotic,
i made my doctor give me a stool test. but they only gave me two conatiners to put the stool in one only one bowel movement. will this be accurate?
if the results come out negative could i still have threadworms.
i found a brown thread like thing in my stool just now, when i washed it with water under the brown it was yellowy white color? what does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

It is better to get the stool examination to be done to know the type of worm infestation and infection, if any. We suggest three consecutive tests as one investigation can be negative.

For your clarification, threadworm refers to nematodes of the family Enterobius. Strongyloides stercoralis is the one which infests humans. The male worm is 0.9 mm and females 2.0-2.5 mm. There is another worm, roundworm, which may vary in size from a few millimetres to a few centimetres in length and is a few millimetre in diameter. Hence, till one sees it or examines it, it is not possible to conclude the type of infestation.

At times some undigested fibres from food can appear as described by you. In such a case the stool report shall be normal.

I suggest that you wait for the stool report and there is no need to worry unduly about it.

I hope I have been able to clear your doubts. Do write back for any clarifications.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later
one doctor told me it cannot be any type of food that causes this but your saying it can... what type of undigested fibers cause white flat thread in your stool?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Though you have provided details of the "string/thread like thing" in your stool you have neither provided the length nor width of it. In your last query you mention "flat thread" which does not give all the information. If a picture of the same had been uploaded it would have been better for us to comment. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

A report of the stool examination would guide us better. We can only conjecture the various possibilities based on the description provided by you, which cannot replace the report.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

RKK

When I see it again I will surely upload but for the now the way it was was threadlike but super as rounded as thread but more like slightly flat to it like and dry about half a inch big but it snapped from the poop so it could be bigger in lenght. Dry like a coconut shaving but definitely not as wide as one. Does it make sense?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 58 minutes later

Thanks for updating your query. It is very unlikely for a worm to snap the way you have described. Though you have mentioned that it was about half an inch long and flat, you have not mentioned the width. In case you are referring to tapeworm then their segments are thin and resemble strips of tape and hence their name - they are certainly not thread like.

I suggest that we wait for the stool report before concluding on the type of worm infestation. Treatment for the infestation can be started thereafter.

I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please feel free to revert back with more information that you may like to share.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later
I believe if it it is a worm it would be a threadworm. The "worm" width was tiny hardly any width as much width as a thread has. But it was dry do threadworms come out dry when I pulled it out of the poop it sort of snapped off felt as dry and hard as a coconut shaving.
i uploaded some picutures could hey be threadworms?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 hours later

Thanks for updating your query by uploading the photographs. These are definitely neither roundwormds (Ascaris) nor tapeworm. Threadworms are very small in size. Secondly, the worms do not come out dry as described by you. They are living and would move. So be reassured that you do not passing threadworms. Nevertheless, get a routine stool examination done which shall be examined for ova and cysts of worms and be a definite test.

I hope that I have addressed your concern. Please feel free to revert back with more information that you shall like to share.

RKK