Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have UTI. Having irritation and burning during urination at night. No medicines prescribed. What to do?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9585 Questions
I have had several UTIs in the past couple of years or symptoms somewhat like a UTI. Most recently I complained of the same symptoms - an irritation which wakes me at night, sometimes a burning not always when I need to pee but on and off. Went to family doctor last week and gave a urine sample. (sees blood in urine and some presence of inflammation at office). Doctor sent to lab and a response a few days later indicated that there was no UTI or no vaginal infection present. I had a cystoscopy recently (May 2013) which showed some irritation at base of bladder. I was advised by urologist to give up tea and coffee and take warm baths.
No medication prescribed and he wishes to see me in 3 months. My family doctor is trying to get me back in to urologist sooner. I feel overwhelmed with this problem and heard in the media 2 days ago that blood in the urine is the first sign of bladder cancer??? Your comments, please
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have repeated episodes of symptoms like UTI .However there are no positive signs of infection detected either in routine test or culture.

You have recently undergone endoscopic examination of bladder ( Cystoscopy) which revealed some irritation at bladder base.

In majority of elderly females the urinary symptoms are common and are due to atrophy of genito urinary organs due to hormonal (Oestrogen)deficiency.

The presence of few RBC(Red Blood Cells) in urine can be due to infection .It is only the XXXXXXX hematuria(Blood) or dark red coloured urine that is significant of any cancer of the bladder.

You need not worry at all as your urologist has done cystoscopy and could nod detect any cancer in the bladder.

This can be controlled with course of antibiotics for a week.and drinking more water.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor