Have RA and pregnant. Taking prednisolone for pain and inflammation. What medicines be taken safely?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Lupus
Question: I am a rheumatoid artharitis patient and i am pregnant running 4 months......my pain and inflammation killing me so i am taking a dose of prednisolone 5mg every night. Suggest me something that doesnt harm my baby
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting yopur query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that It is a very dicey situation . Steroids are the most time tested medicines that can be used in pregnancy . Rest all DMARDS have their own ill effects on fetus . For biological drugs the data is incomplete . Hydroxychloroquine and sulfasalazine are also considered safe during pregnancy but that your treating rheumatologist has to decide looking on all aspects . I will advise you to for pain to take paracetamol only when necessary . NSAIDS include naproxen, ibuprofen etc. are not known to cause birth defects but have been linked to an early closure of ductus arteriosus in the baby’s heart and for this reason you may be advised to stop these drugs 6-8 weeks before your due date . They may reduce the amount of amniotic fluid surrounding baby In my opinion it will be better to avoid them . You can use topical anlgesic gels and hot fomentation when required . Be in touch with your treating doctor as he remains the best judge of your situation. Take care. Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
The pain in the wrist and ankle is uncontrollable ....is regular prednislone dosage safe?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for reverting back. Dont worry prednisolone 5 mg is very minimal dose . Its true that steroids have side effects but this is very small dose to cause significant side effects . You can take it safely for long periods as it is required . One thing is that if you have got significant swelling over your wrist and ankle then a small dose of intraarticular steroid can be given in the joint which will be very effective and the side effects are also minimal . You can discuss with your rheumatologist for this. Take care. Dr. Shruti