Have Parkinson, going for basal cell carcinoma surgery. Take Madapor which interacts with anaesthetic. Suggest?

Posted on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am having surgery for a basal cell carcinoma and I take Madopar which interacts with general anaesthetic, Is it safe to stop Madopar for 3 days before the operation as I have Parkinson disease ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 days later
Brief Answer:
It is safe to stop Madopar

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

It is safe to stop madopar three days prior to surgery, as it interacts with general anaesthetic agent.

However, I would like to point out that your Parkinsonian symptoms may slightly worsen, such as tremors, slowness and rigidity may increase. But it is better to avoid any side effects during anesthesia or surgery because of madopar.
Once surgery is over, you can restart madopar.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist