Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Have Parkinson Disease, recovering from fractured hip. Arm started feeling numb. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6175 Questions
I am a 72 year old female, with Parkinson Disease. I am recovering from a fractured hip.

Yesterday, my right arm started feeling numb. I am not able to hold a utensil now, or feed myself. I can't pick up a water glass unless I use both hands. What is your diagnosis?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

From the history of healing from a fractured hip, I suppose you have limited mobility. This predisposes to the formation of blood clots in your blood vessels.
This associated with the onset of motor and sensory deficit of your right hand, it is highly suggestive of STROKE resulting from a clot that has traveled and lodged in the brain.Were you put on blood thinners?

Please, I will suggest that you make an emergency visit to the hospital to get these symptoms investigated and appropriate treatment offered. It can make a huge difference in terms of outcome.

Hope this addresses your query fully. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask them. I will gladly provide answers but the immediate and most important thing to do now is to go to the hospital before these symptoms become even worse to involve other parts of the body.

I wish you well and a rapid management and best of outcomes with this condition.
Hope to get a follow up updates from you.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor