Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Have PCOS, undergoing Ayurvedic treatment. Husband has pyospermia. What should next action be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 218 Questions

My wife and I have been trying to start a family from the last few months and we havent been all that successful. We have reasons galore. My wife suffers from PCOS for which she is undergoing alternate medicinal treatment(Ayurvedic) and is already showing a lot of improvement.Her doctor asked me to take a test of my vitals and my lab report showed up Pyospermia. The ayurvedic doctor that my wife consults suggests some weird ayurvedic procedures that I dont believe in.

I have attached all my reports here. Please take a look and suggest what my next action should be.

P.S. Some history to this. I was suffering from thats having an after effect here and causing pyospermia.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I did not see any attached reports here.

Anyway, the report of pyospermia as mentioned by you suggests infection in the seminal fluid. In such instances it will be of great help to the treating physician if you get a semen culture and sensitivity is done.

Pyospermia can be treated with antibiotics as suggested by culture and sensitivity test.

You could consult an urologist who will examine you and look for any other problem in the prostate gland or seminal vesicles which needs to be treated. At the same time he/she can also treat pyospermia too.

Hope to have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. Nandita Thakkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have PCOS, undergoing Ayurvedic treatment. Husband has pyospermia. What should next action be? 4 hours later

Sorry about the missing attachments. I have attached the same now. Can you please take a look at the same and kindly reflect on it? I would like to know the severity of the situation. I am supposed to permanantely relocate to a different country. Should I be stalling that because of this?

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 6 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

I have gone through the attached reports. The semen analysis shows a high leukocyte count. This is often seen with pyospermia. As mentioned in my earlier reply, a semen culture will through some light on the organism and can be treated with the appropriate antibiotic

I think these are common problems seen in an infertile couple and can be managed easily by an urologist.

I am hopeful that you can be treated and your trip abroad can go on as planned. This really should not be a major issue. However I will leave this decision to you.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Wish you all the best!! Let me know if you have further queries. If all your queries are answered please close this discussion.

Dr Nandita thakkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor