Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Have PCOS. Want to become pregnant. Suggested BC pill for continuous bleeding. Any other options?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
So I have PCOS. I want to become pregnant so i don't want BC. The problem is that I have been bleeding for a couple of months and my Gynecologist only option is BC. This has happened in the past and the birth control really helped but I have had a blood clot so they are not an option anyway anymore. Please help. Are there any other options?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 4 hours later

PCOS can be controlled by Metformin along with ovulation induction drugs and progesterone.

You can avoid taking oestrogen , cyproterone acetate or dosperinone.

Surgical treatment which is laparoscopic ovarian drilling also gives good results.

If you are having heavy periods then you can go for an endometrial biospy and curettage which is diagnostic as well as therapeutic.

Thyroid function tests should be done or get them repeated.

To conclude , metformin along with dydrogeterone or medroxyprogesterone and tranexamic acid with iron supplements and ovulation induction drugs usually control the bleeding.
You may require other investigations like FSH , LH , estradiol , progesterone levels etc

D&C and LOD are the surgical choices.

Good diet which is XXXXXXX in iron with less stress and exercise also help in curing PCOS

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor