• question-icon

Have PCOS. Tested negative for pregnancy. Is there any permanent cure for PCOS?

Posted on Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am 31years married and PCOS detected.I had my last period on XXXXXX I had also tested for Pregnancy but the result is negative.Is to safe to take DEVIRY tabs for 5 days (2 tabs daily)?Does the medicine has any kind of side effects?Is there any permanent cure for PCOS?

With regards
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

Poly cystic ovarian syndrome is characterized by symptoms like menstrual irregularities, anovulation, insulin resistance etc.
It usually occurs because of hormonal imbalance.
As pregnancy test is negative, now you can go for withdrawal bleeding.
Deviry contains medroxy progesterone, after completion of the tablets within 3 to 5 days you will get withdrawal bleeding.
You may experience side effects like nausea, bloating sensation of abdomen, breast tenderness etc.
But usually these will be mild and subside soon without need of any medication.
As you are desirous of children PCOS treatment should mainly aim at:
Inducing ovulation.
Deceasing insulin resistance.
Following ovulation with follicular study and planning intercourse around that time.
Progesterone supplementation - optional.
So when you consult your gynecologist she will explain these to you and according to that the management can be planned.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for the reply.You are right I am also eagerly desarious to have a child.What kind of Diet should be taken to control hormone imbalance?With proper hormonal treatment is it possible to concieve?What do you mean by hormone therapy and how much it cost.

With Regard
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXX

Actually there is no specific diet for PCOS.
You have to plan regular diet chart to maintain your body weight and BMI(Body mass index) within normal levels.
Better to decrease the intake of saturated fats, fast foods etc. Increase intake of fruits, vegetables.
With proper treatment definitely the chances of conception will increases.
As I told previously treatment of PCOS depends on the symptoms and parity.
In your case if you conceive just with ovulation induction drugs, there is no need to spend more money.
But if the need for artificial reproductive measures arises then the expenditure can increase. Don't worry this is a rare possibility.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN