Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Have PCOS. Getting periods while on medicine. Trying to conceive. Looking for suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
hi.This is XXXXXX here. I'm 30 yrs old and I got married 3 years back and looking to conceive however i have PCOS and i only get periods on medication and my doctor suggested me fertility tablet -Fertyl super 150+50 mg from3-7 day and post which i did a follicular study which has multiple follicles of 14mm on the 19 day in right ovary and 9 mm in left ovary.Endometrial thickness is 9mm.My query is when wil my ovualtion take place and is this size enough to conceive and if i had relations on 17th day wil i conceive?Also please confirm till ow many days a sperm is active inside a females body?I'm also taking metformin 500mg twice daily.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

Welcome and thanks for writing to us

Your follicular size is 14 mm in right ovary which is not good enough for the conception.It should be at least 18-20 mm so that it can rupture nicely for the conception.Your endometrial thickness is less as you have not ovulated yet.If you are having relations on 17th day with delayed ovulation then chances of conception are less.It is best to have contact within 48hrs of ovulation.Sperm , when reaches fallopian tubes can live up to 7 days but it's average life is 3-4 days.

I hope your thyroid profile is within normal limits , if not done please get it done.

Once the follicle reaches it's maturity doctor's give inj HCG for its rupture.

PCOD is a treatable condition with Metformin along with lifestyle modification including diet control and exercises.
Surgial treatment for PCOD is called Lap Ovarian Drilling or LOD which gives almost 69% results.

Best wishes and good luck
Any further query is most welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor