Have PCOD syndrome. Took deviry. Found 7 weeks pregnancy. Any effect on fetus?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: i had PCOD syndrome.doctor advised to take deviry.my last period was on 19th oct 2012.On 13th dec 2012, my UPT was negative so i my doctor advised to take deviry for 5 days. so i had deviry from 13th to 17 dec 2012.Now on 8th XXXXXXX 2013, my pregnancy is positive and showing i am 7 weeks and 3 days pregnant..will deviry have any affect on foetus ? extremely worried
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Hello
As you have PCOD syndrome, your periods and hence ovulation is irregular.
Based on the ultrasound report that you have mentioned, you probably conceived around the end of November.
Hence, the pregnancy was conceived late , corresponding to your period, so it would might not have showed up by mid December.
Deviry contains medroxyprogesterone acetate, which is often prescribed to induce withdrawal bleeding in women who fail to menstruate normally , as often happens with PCOD.
Please do not worry as there have been no scientific studies which show the adverse effects of Deviry on the baby.
In order to further reassure you, I advice you to go through the following link. It is in scientific terminology, but the meaning should be very clear to you :

WWW.WWWW.WW
Also, at 7 week 3 days, I hope the cardiac activity ( heartbeat ) is well visualized in the baby, and everything else in the ultrasound report is normal.
You should take antenatal supplements ( folic acid ) as prescribed, follow all medical advice given by your practitioner.
Go for all recommended antenatal visits, and have regular testing as advised.
Please do not worry about the issue of Deviry intake and possible harm to the fetus.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
no questions mam, just want to thank you for assurance...
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 minutes later
Thank you for the appreciation.
Enjoy your pregnancy !