Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Have PCOD, iron deficiency and started spotting. Taking bigoment. Blood smear test done

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 7251 Questions
I am a 43 years unmarried femal was diagonised with PCOD by a very sr Gynee in DEC 2012.My weight is 86 kgs height is 5'7 ft.
the doc has put me on bigoment 500 twice a day.
this month twice i had all PMS symptoms with very mild spotting.My general physcian says i have a massive deficiency of Iron and olic acid.My BP is also very low 100-70.
I am uploading my blood smeer report kindly advise
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 36 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

I have gone through all your reports. I have noticed several points.
-- you are overweight
--PCOD is a symptom complex with multiple ovarian cysts, abnormal lipid profile and insulin resistance--your reports show that
---you have anemia, probably caused by iron-deficiency
--elevated LDH needs to be investigated further---it may have some significance in the presence of ovarian cysts--the nature of the cysts has to be confirmed conclusively
--your in the normal range

Your relief from the symptoms would depend on a planned approach; nutritional supplements to combat deficiencies, management of weight to remain in the healthy range, treatment of insulin resistance-Metformin is the ideal drug in PCOD-induced insulin resistance, management of stress, assessment of the hormonal status and replacing accordingly, further investigation to locate the cause for the raised LDH level. The cysts, if benign and due to PCOD, may be treated with laparoscopic puncture.

Please consult your specialist and discuss for further support and further investigations if necessary. You will also need to modify your diet to improve your lipid profile.

I hope I have clarified your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have PCOD, iron deficiency and started spotting. Taking bigoment. Blood smear test done 5 hours later
Thanks Doc,i am doing regular yoga and walk for an hour everyday,i am taking iron tablets.But kindly advise by when will i get my regular periods back.
Also how bad is my anemia.I am a working person and need to get back healthy.My hormones and thyroid are normal.Kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It is good that you are walking and doing yoga. You can also practise meditation. You should eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, consume less or no rice, eat fish if you are a non-vegetarian and drink plenty of fluids. You can repeat the counts after a few weeks and compare. The aim is to improve the lipid profile and also the blood picture.

Your anemia is not very bad; in fact, your Hb levels are normal, it is the microscopic picture of RBC that indicates some deficiency. This can be easily corrected by nutritional supplements of vitamins, minerals, iron, calcium, protein and dietary adjustments.

The return of regular periods depends up on the treatment given, the ovarian reserve, the hormonal balance and the maintenance of proper weight. It has been shown in PCOD that a decrease of a 15% in weight can itself settle the hormonal imbalance and return of regular periods.

Please do not worry; with proper care and regular follow up you should be able to return back to work now. PCOD is not a condition that needs a stay at home, it is manageable very well.

Wish you good health.

I hope I have been clear. If you have any further queries, please feel free and ask. I will be ready to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have PCOD, iron deficiency and started spotting. Taking bigoment. Blood smear test done 1 hour later
Thank u Doc i will adhere to your advise.I have already started loosing weight,just need to manage my stress,i have very very difficult situatio in life since 2007 to now.I chant mantras ,but my mind is always over working,i lost 2 of my most loved ones to death in thse last 4-5 years.My problems have started henceforth.
I cant sleep at night can you pls advise what should i do to manage that.
thanks for all your help.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I am very sorry to hear what you suffered. It is true that it is difficult to repair a loss like that, but, remember, nobody can live forever in this world. All of us have to leave one day or the other. So, please try to develop an attitude of indifference. You can try 'Art Of Living'; I'm sure it is going to help.

From the onset of symptoms of PCOD at this age, I could suspect that you faced a set back that disturbed your hormonal balance, because the first thing that gets affected in a woman under stress is menstrual pattern. As you get over your stress and regain a healthy weight and with some medication, you should regain your normal pattern.

You may take some counselling sessions and anxiolytics to lessen the restlessness at night. Also, follow some simple rules before you go to bed-avoid watching television or web browsing; read a good book that keeps your mind happy, have a XXXXXXX warm bath and a glass of warm milk before you go to bed. Make your sleeping atmosphere comfortable and pleasant with some relaxation music etc.

I hope I have clarified all your doubts. If you do not have any more queries now, please close this discussion and rate this answer. You can get back to me whenever you want. I will be ready to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor