Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Have PCOD. Started gaining weight after delivery. Are they related? Permanent treatment for PCOD?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 158 Questions
Dear Doctor

I was diagnosed to have PCOD by doctors in 2008-09 since my periods were getting delayed frequently and was put on meprate for inducing periods for a couple of cycles. I conceived in middle of 2009 and my daughter was born in march 2010 through c-section. After her birth, my first periods occurred after almost 15 months. Since then periods have been a little longer (about 30-35 days) but have been happening regularly without any medication. However, I have not been able to reduce my post-pregnancy weight & tummy flab. My weight before pregnancy was about 65 Kg and it is currently 73 Kg. I have tried dieting and gymming but have been unable to reduce my weight. This particular cycle my periods have not come since last 45 days now.

Is my weight gain/tummy flab related to PCOD? Is there a permanent treatment for PCOD instead of only period inducing medicines?

Should I consider undergoing an alternate therapy like ayurveda/homeopathy?

Please suggest what should i be doing to reduce my weight and waist.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 3 hours later
Thanks for the query.

Post pregnancy weight gain need lots of hard work and self restraint to go. Strict control of diet and exercises which mainly work on tummy needs to be done. Gym instructor will help you for exercises. If you want you can try yoga also.

Regarding PCOS, you need ultrasound of ovaries to assess the condition of ovaries now. It is often seen that after delivery PCOS improves without any treatment. If your ovaries are normal in ultrasound you do not need further treatment. Also make sure ultrasound is done immediately after periods.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor