Have PCOD. Missing periods. Test showed high eosinophil in wbc. What is the problem?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I have irregular periods and diagnosed with Polycystic ovary disorder (PCOD) and after a period of treatment I have been asked to take several test related to blood and urine and now I got my report, and got confused because My wbc count is 0000 and Eosinophils range 8% RBC is 4.64 mill/cmm and final impression is Peripheral Smear Study (Microscopic) :
RBCs : Normocytic, microcytic and hypochromic in appearance with anisocytosis.
Parasites : No malarial parasites or haemoparasites are seen.
WBCs : Leucocytosis is seen with increase in eosinophils.
Immature cells : No immature cells or atypical cells are seen.
Platelets : Adequate in number with normal morphological appearance.
Prolactin: 12.2
.And now its almost 9 days after I missed my period and suspecting for pregnancy but Came to know that elevation in eosinophil in wbc may cause leukemia so very much scared of it. This test is taken on my missed period day. kindly let me know what this means either pregnancy or any other disease.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Eosinophils are normally 1 to 6 % of the white cell count, so your eosinophil count is mildly above the norm.
Eosinophils are responsible for (1) allergic response - persons with allergies have a high eosinophil count (2) fighting viral infection (3) fighting worm and some parasitic infections
An increase can also be seen in response to medications, endocrine disorders and in some cancers.

There may be an obvious reason for the increase such as an allergy or viral infection.
To determine the exact cause a doctor may consider the following:obtaining the absolute number of eosinophils from the blood count, liver and kidney function tests,patients with allergies may have a smear done to check for eosinophils, patients with asthma may have sputum sample tested for eosinophils, evaluation of stool and urine for parasites. If these are normal then a bone biopsy may be done.

In terms of pregnancy there are early detection kits that can detect pregnancy in the early stages. These tests can detect low levels of HCG in the urine.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Kindly review my reports and let me know if there is a sign of pregnancy, but as of now i got a negative in home pregnancy test.now I am in my 9th day after my missed period. kindly suggest what should be the next step to be taken.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

I had reviewed the reports before, no urine or blood pregnancy tests were done. Pregnancy is diagnosed by a urine or blood test for HCG or an ultrasound showing the fetus.
There were no tests checking any of these.
The only hormonal tests that you had done was for a testosterone level.

You can consider asking your doctor for a blood test to check for the HCG, if this is negative then it would be extremely unlikely that you are pregnant at this time and the delayed period may be as a result of the PCOS.

Hope this clears up any queries, feel free to ask any additional questions