Have PCOD. Advised gynaset. Looking for suggestion

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have PCOD...am advised to take gynaset for four days....followed by XXXXXXX ..will it cure PCOS?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 45 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Polycystic ovarian disease is a symptom complex triggered by hormonal imbalance that results in irregular or absent ovulation leading to menstrual irregularities. Ova do not mature properly in the ovaries and multiple follicles are seen in the ovaries that can form cysts and infertility in addition to weight gain and hirsutism.

Gynaset contains Norethisterone used to balance the excessive estrogen levels in the body and thereby control the menstrual irregularities. It does not help to cure the disease but helps relieve the most distressing symptom of irregular cycles. XXXXXXX consists of cyproterone that is anti-androgenic and ethinyl estradiol, which is progestational, inhibiting ovulation. The drug can help to reduce hirsutism but usage needs thorough evaluation of the general condition before initiating treatment in view of the several side effects like venous thrombosis, hepatitis and migraines. Special care should be taken while using this medication when there is asthma.

Added to medication, exercise and weight loss can go a long way in the treatment of PCOD to cure the hormonal imbalance. You need to have a complete evaluation before embarking on any treatment.

I think I have clarified your doubt. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer.

regards,
Shanti.V.