Owl Image

Have LBP and noticed skin turning to gray. Should I consult neurologist or a cardiologist?

Cardiologist
Question
I am 5'5", 120lbs, female, 44 years old. Exercise 4 times a week. I am a little high strung; always on the go, anxiety is high, stressful job. I have low blood pressure and am always cold. Otherwise good health. Brother had a heart attack at age 45 (excellent health, doc can't figure out why he had one!) Last night, while out to eat with my family my hands turned grey. Not blue/grey, just dark slate grey and came on suddenly. . I still had feeling in them but they turned grey very fast. I didn't feel quite right, but wasn't sure what else was wrong. I think I was just nervous because I didn't know what was going on. After a few minutes my husband suggested I go to the restroom and wash them. I did (tho the water was cold) and it went away. All the searches I do on hands going grey turn up with doctors saying there is no explanation. My question is this: have you ever heard of this happening and why? and do I see a neurologist or a cardiologist?
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 55 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
One possibility which comes to mind to explain your symptoms- apart from anxiety- is Raynaud's Phenomenon but that also seems rare and quite atypical. So, I suggest that you see a cardiologist. You will be thoroughly examined and as you have family history of heart disease it is right time that you are evaluated for risk factors which are modifiable namely a)Diabetes b) Hypertension c) Smoking d) Stress e) Obesity and lack of exercise f) High bad cholesterol like total cholesterol, LDL and Triglycerides and g) low good cholesterol that is HDL. If these are normal just try to forget that single episode and move on with life that is no junk food, no overweight no junk thoughts. If there is any of the above risk factor for coronary artery disease is present take care of that. Good Luck.
If there is a follow up question I will be too happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover