Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have Irritable bowl syndrome. Getting relief while on debridat trimebutine. Alternate medicine for this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1962
Answered : 693 Questions
Hi, my mother has had Irritable bowl syndrome for over 15 years now. She has tried almost every kind of medication in the USA and nothing seems to work for her. She tried Debridat Trimebutine by Pfizer while she lived in Japan and had great results. But we have been told by doctors, this is not available here in the USA. Can someone tell me why? What would be the proper channels to try and obtain this medicine or is it even possible?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 17 hours later
Your mother has had IBS for over 15 years according to you and
has tried a lot of different medications available here in USA.
I am not sure if her predominant symtom is diarrhea or constipation.
There are different drugs for each of those types.
In both cases however , we recommend a high fiber diet which
includes whole grain cereal, nuts, fruits, legumes etc. with plenty
of fluid intake.
For costipation predominant patients, we recommend addition
of stool softeners and a polyethylene glycol solution which is
safe in majority of cases and can be taken long term. The dosage
needs to be adjusted to get proper stool consistency, up or down.
If diarrhea is a major problem , taking antispasmodics may be
helpful with drugs like Dicyclomine or Levsin. Some of the
anti-depressant drugs like tricyclics or some of the SSRI family
of drugs can help reduce the symtoms. Recently , studies have
shown drugs such as Mesalamine , Rifaximin may be very helpful
in these tough to treat cases.
Also, I must stress, make sure the doctors have tested her for
Celiac disease since it is often overlooked.
As to your specific question about Debridat , which is an antispasmodic
drug , available in Singapore ,Japan etc.
I am not sure if you can order it on line from Singapore.
You can look into it. It is not available here in the States.
I wish her the very best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor