Have IGA nephropathy. Urine and blood test normal. Is it safe to take ceratine?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have an 18 year old son, very very physically fit. Works out 4x a week and plays college level baseball. He has IGA nephropathy but no damage to his kidneys. Has been taking fish oil and cozzar and enalaphril for 10 years ... all urine and blood tests are normal. He wants to take Ceratine a protein supplement for increased performance body building. Is this safe? I think he will do it anyway so how can he be moderate
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 6 hours later

Your son has a proven IgA nepropathy. Such nephropathy patients should restrict protein intake from all sources to 0.8gm/kg/day especially if there is protein in urine. Taking more protein can increase the proteinuria and cause progression of kidney disease.

Therefore heavy protein intake used for body building is not recommended.

There is no way to suggest how much is safe; but the basic idea is that more protein intake will drive proteinuria which is a risk factor for kidney disease progression.

Though he has no urine protein (urinary protein is nil as you say), he can undergo urine microalbuminuria test - if that is absolutely normal, the risk of disease progression is less with protein supplements. However still heavy protein intake from any source is not recommended.

Hope this helps. Any further queries are welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad