Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.
Important aspects of your query are:
• 32 year old male
• Known case of Irritable bowel syndrome
• Complaints of: mild cramps and defecation twice in morning.
IBS is diagnosed when no pathology is found, for patient problems because of that many times patient may have to face many unnecessary investigations and even surgery. IBS pathology related to dysfunction in brain-gastrointestinal tract coordination (Mind-Body relationship
), because of that its symptoms got exacerbated in stress (visiting other place is stressful for body), anxiety and depression.
Common symptoms of IBS are: Abdominal pain
, bloating sensation, diarrhoea and constipation
If I see nature of your symptoms, these are very minimal, may be because of your dietary modification and probiotics use. But even mild symptoms cause lots of problem to person.
Treatment is done by:
• Soluble fiber supplementation (Like Psyllium) is effective in the general IBS population. It acts as a bulking agent, and for many IBS patients, it allows for a more consistent stool.
• Antispasmodics for abdominal pain: like Dicyclomine
for spasmodic pain
• Low dose tricyclic antidepressants like amitryptiline, under physician supervision.
• Avoidance of food, exacerbating IBS symptoms in your case.
• Reducing stress may reduce the frequency and severity of IBS symptoms. Following measures will help in stress reduction:
such as meditation
-Physical activities such as yoga.
-Regular exercise such as swimming, walking or running.
It is need to remember that IBS is a chronic condition and symptoms may exacerbate at any point of the time in life. Treatment is targeted toward maximum improvement but sometime with all efforts some symptoms may remain.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.
Wish you good health.