Have IBS and GERD problem. Getting abdominal discomfort and mucus in stool. Any solution?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I need help regarding my stomach issue. From Dr. XXXXXXX Vagholkar. as i had been consulting him before.Hello Doc,

How are you doing?
I had been consulting you before also.
Your last advice:
"Yes you can continue with medications which you are taking presently. Colospa will take care of the symptoms.Continue with sorbiline and food modifications .
I hope this amswers your querry."

I have IBS.and sometimes GRED.
Last 4 months I have been using Sorbilin.
for 2 months I have taken Hepa Merz as u had suggested.

And continuing bland diet.

I use Isabgool for smooth motion .
Sometimes I take Colospa retard .
At night before sleep sometimes I have Rkool D.

Sometimes I use Petril MD , for good sleep , is it a sleeping pill? I try not to use it .

Sunday I had outside spicy food.
From tuesday night i m having upper abdomain discomfort and Mucus issue with freq passing. Please suggest me any medication for this.

Thanks & Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The most likely cause of your symptoms could be a exacerbation of irritable bowel syndrome. However it would be advisable to rule out infection. Therefore I would advise you to get a stool examination done along with a CBC. If the stools are blood stained or foul smelling then that may require a course of antibiotics.
In the mean time I would suggest you start
Sucralfate susp 1 tablespoon after meals three times aday.
Rest you can continue the same protocol which you are already doing.
Except that avoid sleeping pills as far as possible.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards