Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have IBS. Test showed ast 52 and alt 40 . How to get cured?

Answered by
Dr. Raju A.T

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 3866 Questions

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Question: my ast is 52 and alt is 40 I
I've had upper right abdominal pain, bloating, nausea,increased burping.
I'm told I have IBS.
Gall bladder was removed in 1998
MI in 1991 at which time I quit smoking, developed PAD and had surgery on the femoral artery in 2010.
First time plaque was removed, developed a clot a couple days later and had bypass on the same artery with a stent. Was doing well but then developed stenosis 6 weeks later.Unable to remove blockage in the stent.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Thanks for your query.

The levels of AST and ALT you mentioned though slightly out of range are not significant to indicate serious trouble. Such readings can be seen in normal healthy people too.

Upper right abdominal pain and other symptoms you have could be seen in gall bladder pathology, IBS or acid peptic disease. Since the gall bladder is removed long back, either IBS or Acid peptic disease to be the cause for the symptoms you have.

Do take Tab Prilosec OTC once in morning before breakfast for a minimum of a week. This will reduce the basal acid output and reduce acidity and thus the symptoms.

PAD (Peripheral artery disease) seems well managed by surgery. Either the PAD or the surgery is related to the current episode.

I would like to know some more history on the CAD (Coronary artery disease) and present status to comment on it better.

Was an angioplasty performed in last 6 weeks? If yes, what was the report?
Did you consult your Cardiac surgeon? If yes, what is the plan of management?
Do you have any concerns in this regard where I could be of help?

Waiting for your response,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later
Thank you for your reply. As far as the CAD, no there has been no surgery at all. My blockage at the time of the MI was 70% in the right coronary artery. IT is now 100% occluded but enough collateral circulation has developed that my cardiologist is satisfied that diet, exercise and medication is keeping things stable. I've had no other episodes since the MI. I take toporol and altace for BP along with crestor.
If I could go back to the PAD for your opinion. I've wondering if anything can be done with the 100% occluded stent? Although it's been over 2 years since the surgery has there been any new procedures that address this issue? I go for an ultrasound every 6 mos. which shows no change except the doctor said circulation has improved from .6 to .7. I'm not sure exactly what it means other than my foot longer feels cold and I do detect some pulses. However, I still experience more pain walking than I would like. I can force myself to walk a mile on the treadmill in under 19 minutes. I would appreciate your input as to any options that can improve my situation. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If it is the stent in coronary artery you are referring to be blocked 100%, I agree with your cardiologist. It would be better not to disturb it as are good collateral circulation.

There has been not much improvement in the field of PAD (Peripheral artery disease) management. Angioplasty/stent procedure, bypass surgery, arterectomy, thrombectomy (plaque excision), etc., have been tried as a treatment since sometime. Of these angioplasty is favoured for its minimal complication, easy approach and limited restrictions. However stent stenosis is occurs commonly and can be rectified by restenting. But it looks like you are doing well and the limb circulation is improving. In such cases, it would be best to leave the decision of revision surgery to your current surgeon.
It is essential to monitor the blood flow in the arteries regularly and at any point of time if the circulation is found to be impaired, then a revision surgery would be necessary.
Good exercise and anticoagulant therapy would be sufficient till then.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Bypass surgery

doctor1 MD

I am having severe pain in my right side rib cage and the right of my mid back. It is becoming more painful to breath and sometimes when I urinate I feel it all spasm and the pain intensifys for a minute. This cam on sudden about 4 days ago and is steadily getting worst. I did have gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago and I have had no complications so far, is this something I need to go to ER for or can it wait till the morning when my doctors office opens up?

doctor1 MD

My 80 year old father has a chronic skin condition - a rash which flares up every evening.....causing a great deal of pain. Heis being treated for eczma but we think it may be something linked to nervous system. Last week he described the pain over both knees as like being covered in bees. He has had bypass surgery so takes some medication. He is well in himself except for this rash which is causing a lot of distress. He had shingles several years ago so I thought it might be related. We are looking for a diagnosis so he can start to get better. Thankyou

doctor1 MD

My brother had gastric bypass surgery almost 7 months ago. As he healed he had scar tissue that pinched off the opening for secretions to drain from the old stomach. They put in a drain until the swelling goes down and they can do the surgery to fix the problem. Now he's having a problem in that his heart rate is never under 100, and he gets dizzy and he's very shaky ? Any help or advice you can offer would be much appreciated! Thanks, Concerned Sister

doctor1 MD

Hello,My grandfather is a diabetic for the last 32 years. He has 72 years now. He has undergone a bypass surgery in the year 2000. Recently he has been diagnosed of having kidney disorder.latest tests have revealed the following:Albumin 495 in urine Kreatine 1.5 Can you please suggest the steps that we should be taking?Can health supplements like vitamin B1 help?

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My dad recently underwent CABG 4 graft bypass. I wanted to understand the following things. 1. Breif information about the reports and discharge summary attached. 2. Post operation care. 3. Currently he has swelling on the legs from...

doctor1 MD

I am 75 yrs old and have had bypass surgery and 1 stent put in .I had my bypass surgery at 49 yrs old and my stents at 59 yrs old. I still work 1 day a week and very active. I take the following medications: Pravastatin40 mg, AmLoDIpine Besylate...

doctor1 MD

Doctor, I have been prescribed Lipitor instead of Provastatin (which I used for a long time) following open heart/triple bypass surgery 82 days ago. Is there a conflict with a daily 150mg dose of Sertraline that I take? I am really doing well...